The City of Van Alstyne is adding another emergency dispatch position to its Communications Department. Starting pay without experience is $17.77 per hour. The city offers excellent insurance options that provide 100% employer paid Health, Dental, Vision, Short-Term and Long Term-Disability, and Life insurance. Flex Savings and Health Savings Accounts are also available. Certificate pay is available for advanced levels of Texas Telecommunication Licenses and Certified Court Clerk levels. Employees contribute 7% for TMRS for retirement that is matched 2 to 1 by the city, with the employee fully vested at 5 years of full-time service.
What do we do?
- Answer emergency and non-emergency requests for Police/Fire/Medical services
- Enter and update information into CAD in a timely manner
- Van Alstyne Communications is currently the secondary answering point for 9-1-1
- Besides 911, requests are received by:
- Multi-line Phone system
- Walk-ins to our Public lobby
- Email accounts
- Radio transmissions
- Social Media accounts
- We utilize computers for Mapping/Sending alerts/Monitoring cameras/CAD/TLETS/NLETS/NCIC/TCIC/multi-channel radio system
- We are the after-hours contact for Public Works (Water, Streets, Parks)
- Municipal Court Clerk duties as assigned within Judge’s standing orders
- Receive and process court documents and payments in-person, by phone, by mail, and on-line
- Complete, scan, file Municipal court records
- Assist in court hearings held via Zoom or in-person
- Supervise and document court ordered Community Service
- Records Clerk
- Assign case numbers
- Compile, scan, and file police records
- Maintain physical control of police records
- US citizen at least 18 years of age
- High school diploma or GED
- Eligible to be trained and licensed as required by TCOLE
- Pass background check including fingerprints
- Communicate clearly and concisely verbally and in writing
Our ideal team member will have:
- Accurate and timely typing and 10 Key skills
- Skills necessary to work a multi-function, multi-line phone system
- General computer knowledge (Word, Excel, Facebook, Google, Microsoft Office 365, miscellaneous programs)
- Ability to learn and adjust to changes and growth with a positive attitude
- Willingness to provide excellent service to responders, community, visitors, and co-workers
- Ability to listen and respond to phone calls, radio traffic, and in-room communications simultaneously while prioritizing requests
- Availability & ability to work a variety of shifts as assigned including days, evenings, nights weekends, holidays and overtime as needed
- Capability of working alone unsupervised or with other team members during high stress calls
- Self-discipline during high stress situations
- Ability to understand and apply written and verbal instructions
- Punctually when reporting for work or completing tasks
- Complete a Personal History Statement: https://cityofvanalstyne.us/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/VAPD-PHS-092021.pdf
- Send or deliver Resume and Personal History Statement to the Communications Supervisor:
- Email: email@example.com, Mail to: PO BOX 247 Van Alstyne, TX 75495, or deliver to: 242 N Preston Ave. Van Alstyne, TX 75495.
- Dispatch observation
- schedule a time to sit with us and observe.
- Complete testing
- typing, written, & listening tests done in the Police Department
- Background investigation
- Physical, drug screen, & psychological evaluation
- Most of the training will be one-on-one in the dispatch center
- You will have an observation shift or two on nights, then rotate to evenings and finish training while working day shifts.
- You will work with different trainers all completing the same training packet with you.
- You will be required to attend on-line and in-person training to obtain required licenses and certifications.
- Some training locations may be as far as Austin and require staying in a hotel for a week
Our area in Grayson and Collin county is experiencing fast growth of new businesses, schools, housing developments, and people moving into our community from all over. We hope to keep our unique community support as we continue to grow. Please consider serving this community with us!
The November 2, 2021 elections are fast approaching. While the City of Van Alstyne has no measures on the ballot, we would like to share information provided by Reggie Smith, State Representative, District 62 as well as sample ballots in both Grayson and Collin counties. Please visit Grayson County Elections and Collin County Elections for additional information.