Turn on, transfer or disconnect my water or trash service

Visit our Utility Billing page for all the forms to initiate service, transfer service or disconnect service. new service.

New Residents:

An application and deposit/service fee are required for water, sewer, and trash service. You will need to present a picture I.D., such as a Driver’s License or Texas I.D. Your deposit is held until service is terminated, upon which the final bill is taken out of the deposit and a refund is issued (if applicable).

Billing for residential solid waste collection (trash and recycling) services will reflect on your monthly utility invoice.

Find the new service application here.


Find the new water service application here.

Solid Waste Collection: Our commercial customers shall initiate services through Sanitation Solutions and will be invoiced according to the company’s billing schedule. Questions regarding solid waste collections, please contact Sanitation Solutions.