What is the purpose of a building permit?
A permit provides a property owner protection and assurance. Inspections can expose issues, including building code violations or safety hazards. Having an inspection to approve your project is the best way to ensure that it was completed properly and is up to industry standards for safety and quality. This is beneficial because you will discover and avoid an issue before it becomes major or costly. Having the necessary permit could also be useful during a homeowners insurance claim.
Permitting is also important for resale and/or home values. If you are adding an addition or finishing the basement or attic, you are adding square footage to your home. If repairs or improvements have not been permitted and documented properly, concerns could arise during the sale or refinance of your home.
When is a building permit required?
- Additions and structural modifications: For example, changing, moving or repairing walls, floors, ceilings, windows, doors, deck or patio cover, adding or modifying fencing, garage conversions
- Electrical, mechanical or plumbing work, including replacing water heaters or adding a lawn sprinkler system
- Adding or removing an accessory building
When are building permits not required?
- Cosmetic remodeling such as paint, flooring, cabinets, countertops, trim, etc. or replacing plumbing fixtures.
This is not an exhaustive list, so please contact us before beginning work on your project if you have any questions. You are welcome to call City Hall at 903-482-5426 or ask via our online question portal.
Building/Fire Plan Review and Inspections:
Please contact Bureau Veritas to request inspection(s). Inspections requested by 3:00pm Monday – Friday will be performed the next business day.
Bureau Veritas Contact Information:
To request an inspection, call the inspection line:
817-335-8111 or 972-980-8401 / toll-free: 877-837-8775
FAX requests to: 817-335-8110 or 972-980-8400 / toll-free: 877-837-8859
To check the status of your permit, call City Hall:
- Certificate of Occupancy
- Solicitation Permit
- Sign Permit
- Special Events Permit
- Backflow Testing
- Grease Traps
- Sprinkler Irrigation
City of Van Alstyne Permits Contact Information:
Call City Hall: (903) 482.5426
Fax: (903) 482.5122
Plan Review and Permit Fees:
Permit FAQs — How do I?
- Operate a Golf Cart in the city limits
- Apply for a Permit for a Food Truck
- Get Directions to City Hall
- Apply for a Specific Use Permit
- Request a Zoning Change
- Apply for an Alarm permit
- Apply for a Garage or Yard Sale permit
- Apply for a Solicitation permit
- Get a Certificate of Occupancy (CO)
- Find out if a property is within Van Alstyne’s City Limits or ETJ